Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A great night, and another's great day.....

Hi folks, hope your day is going well so far! Mine has been really great, well, better than great, it was excellent!

When I went into work last night the manager in charge pulled me aside and asked me to work as a stocker, and to work the freight in hardware and housewares, isn't that the coolest?! I sure thought so.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but there's not a lot of room for advancement working in maintenance at Walmart. We don't answer to any manager other than the co-manager in charge on any given night, because we don't have a department manager or anything like that, which means there is really no position to advance to unless you transfer to another department, and on third shift, the only other department that is available is with the stock crew. So I've been talking with the managers on duty for the last week or so about giving me the opportunity to run some freight if they needed help, and last night I got my wish. Apparently several of the stock crew personnel had called out of work, so there was no one to stock anything on that side of the store, no one in hardware, sporting goods, or housewares. So I was asked to do those departments, well, other than sporting goods, which they had a few of the first shift people do when they arrived at 6 in the morning.

Anyway as far as my first night ever of having to actually LOOK at the shelves, I thought it went really well. See, being a maintenance man requires me to stare at the floor for about 90 percent of the time I'm there, for obvious reasons lol, but last night I finally got to take a look at what we had, and try to find and place each of the items that were on the pallets to be restocked. I've got to tell you, it's not easy when the department is unfamiliar, but I found the challenge of finding each item to be really fun. I'd love to be able to do that job for a living, every night there's something different to put up, and it gave me satisfaction to know that I was putting merchandise on the shelves for our customers to come and buy. I mean who doesn't hate it when you go into a Walmart, with the intent of buying some of your favorite or most needed items, only to find they are currently out of stock? Especially when you know full well that there is probably a pallet full of them in the back room, I mean I don't know about you, but that really gets my goat. And what if you saw something online, or saw it in another Walmart earlier, but couldn't afford to buy it right then? You finally get the money together, and go down to your local store to buy it, only to find there are none of that item on the shelf. GRRRR!!! I hate that!!! So trust me when I say I gained a tremendous amount of satisfaction in putting stuff ON the shelves, rather than being the hapless shopper I have always previously been, a victim of the ironic circumstances of poor inventory management.

I hope that I get the chance to work the stocking gig again soon, and I hope I do well enough that the management considers moving me to that position permanently. I really enjoyed it, and because there are managerial positions to advance into in that job field, I am excited with the possibilities this may just open up for me.

Now, I had a great night, but someone else is having a great day today. See, my dear friend Bella over at Memoirs of a Crazy Witch started going walking every morning a few weeks ago, after her daughter gets on the bus, with the intent to become more fit and to lose some weight. She's been doing really well with it, walking about 3 miles a day, I'm so happy for and proud of her, she's already seeing some results! And now, she's found someone to go walking with her every day, how sweet is that?! There is no doubt in my mind that it will make it more enjoyable for her, and also give her more motivation to reach her goals. Not that she needs any more "motivation", because trust me when I tell you, she is one of few I have ever known that sticks to her guns, no matter what, and when she sets her mind to do something, she follows through. I wish you guys could see the smile on my face that I get when I talk to her, I'm just so happy for her, and I'm glad that things are going so well for her! But don't just take MY word for it, go check out her blog for yourself, go ahead, click that link above, she's an amazing woman, you'll see......and you'll agree.

Such a great day for both of us, and I sincerely wish all of you a great day as well, talk to you soon everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment