Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 8: Thinking out loud

I sat here all morning wondering what I was going to write about, and then it dawned on me..

I don't really have  to have a specific thing to write about, if nothing comes to me. I can just write; in a way, just think out loud.

And boy is there a lot to think about these days. They're telling us the economy is getting better, and yet we the "little guys" still don't have any more money. We shop at stores we would rather not, because the prices are the cheapest. There was a time when we didn't shop on price alone, but now it seems it is the only way to survive.

Then there's the upcoming election. Never before have we seen such close scrutiny of every word that comes out of the candidates' mouths, not to mention the fact checking, which of course always turns out to favor the candidate of your choice, and make the other guy look like a spawn of Satan. Add to that the social media sites we have as so much a part of our lives, and it makes it hard to tell what is real and what is fake. It's gotten ridiculous. Sometimes I think having access to the internet everywhere we go with it being on our phones and such is just too much.

However, one thing I do think that is good is the fact that we can now have contact with anyone in the world, no matter where they are, in real time, as if we were right there with them. I've met some great people online, some of them half a world away, which is something that 20 years ago was just not possible.

I mean, when else could you be sitting around, doing nothing at all, and then, because of a comment someone left you on another friend's link on Facebook, could you find something totally awesome like this?



That's a computer, stuffed into a model of a Star Wars Imperial AT-AT. Impressive, if I say so myself. Here's the link to the website with all the details, from the person who made it, there are other "mods", as they are called, there on the site as well. This is the kind of thing you might never hear about in a million years, if it weren't for the "magic" of the Internet.

And that's why I hope it never goes away. There's a few drawbacks to it, yes, but there are so many good things about it that it just unthinkable to be without it. Sure, we CAN live without it, make life simple, live off the land, like days gone by, but I would argue that progress was slow in those days, because very little new information was exchanged from people not in one's immediate family. If someone lived too far away, you just never heard from them, except when they were in town. Today, we exchange information almost instantaneously, all around the world, and as a whole, I think we are all learning more because of it. I think we NEED it, because being isolated, and enjoying a "simple" existence might be nice, but it also means you cannot "better" yourself in the process, and grow as an individual. Because we now have access to many different cultures and traditions, much can be learned, and I think slowly but surely, there will be less and less bigotry and there will be more understanding and cooperation between peoples of all nationalities, and yes, religions as well.

So while I sit here, thinking out loud, somebody in Tibet can here me. Or maybe Nepal, I've always wanted to go there.......but come to think of it, a piece of me CAN go there, if someone in Nepal reads my post..............what a thought. 

I wonder what they're wearing in Nepal these days.........

Well, while I go Googling for Nepalian attire, you guys have a great day, talk to you tomorrow!

Mt Everest, the tallest mountain on Earth, which is in Nepal, ironically.....I didn't know that until I Googled  Nepal, how about that? Isn't the Internet great?  lol


No comments:

Post a Comment