Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

More on motivation....

I got off work this morning, and for no apparent reason, I was feeling really down and depressed. 


Normally that would mean I would spend most of the day pretty much feeling sorry for myself, not doing anything, and becoming MORE depressed. 


Life on my own has not turned out like I thought it would, not surprisingly, because I haven't done anything to change it. I posted a few days ago about how I get motivated when I'm angry, and since then, I've been wondering how to get motivated when I'm NOT angry.


Then today, it dawned on me. You basically just have to DO it. You have to make a mental decision to be motivated, no matter what mood you're in. Your emotional state really has little to do with it. You just have to decide to be motivated, and then Voila! You are!


Sitting and feeling sorry about how your life isn't the way you want it to be is not going to get you anywhere. 


I've read lots of things that tell you how to change your life, how to make it the life you want, but I never "got" it.


People who have the lives they want are motivated to make them happen, and do things to make them happen. Not because they wake up every day with a smile on their face and a great big emotional "get up and go" attitude either. They make it happen because every day, no matter their emotional state, they DECIDE to be motivated to get things accomplished.


One thing that has been in the back of my mind lately is my job. You know, how it doesn't make me the money I need. The only way to change that is to find a new one. 


I want my own place, but I have apparently not been motivated enough to go out and look for one.


I want a newer car, not that there's anything wrong with the one I have. I got some repairs done to it recently, but there are things this car does not have, like air conditioning, a trunk release (believe it or not, it didn't come with one, you always have to open the trunk with the key), or even a cupholder. These are things I want to have, but I have not been motivated to find the means to get one.


A lot of this stuff takes time, and of course money. The problem is, as I have stated before, I have allowed myself to settle for what I have, and not get motivated to improve on the quality of my life. 


All it really takes is a change in mindset. Emotional concerns should not affect it. At least not to the extent that, in my case, I settle for less than what I want because I'm too busy feeling bad. Or, I have just not decided to be motivated to make changes.


No matter how I feel then, I can be motivated, or I can NOT be. It's my choice.


An interesting revelation, just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

  1. Hello :)

    I have to say thank you for this today... it was exactly what I needed to read. Lately it's just been one day after another with nothing accomplished for me, and a sense of how miserable I am. You're absolutely right: the only way to fix it is to decide to fix it, and I think I've finally decided.

    Oh, I should say, I believe I found you through Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom a while ago, looking for pagan related blogs. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete