Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 13: Return to Oz, and a few other tidbits

Today is my day off.

I went to sleep almost as soon as I got home, it was a pretty tiring night at work last night. Nothing unusual there, Fridays are always our busiest nights. I had 2 people working with me though, and neither one of them was very familiar with the dairy department, so I was constantly having to tell them where things were, what boxes of freight went to which department, and so on, so it was more tiring than usual.

When I woke up, I watched the movie "Return to Oz" for the first time in years. It came out in 1985, and I saw it then, but I don't think I've watched it again since. It was Fairuza Balk's first "big screen" movie, when she was only 11, I found out, kind of cool, considering the blockbusters she's starred in since becoming an adult. I would have never guessed that she was the same girl who played "Vicki Vallencourt" alongside Adam Sandler in "The Waterboy", or better yet, Nancy Downs, in "The Craft". What an incredible actress.

It's funny how we see things as children, and how much different those same things look when we are adults. I guess we learn more, and so we notice things we wouldn't have as kids, but still. Sometimes I think it's the "wonder" that's gone, the ability to believe in things that we "know" are not real. It's a shame we don't carry that to adulthood, I think it would serve us well.

I think back to some of the other movies I saw as a kid, and have seen since, as an adult, and the result was much the same. I just didn't get "into" the fantasy of it, or get wrapped up in the "world" that was created on the screen. Now, I notice when there are really bad (or really good) special effects, when there are huge plot holes that are never filled, and when the acting is less than spectacular. I don't see the movie as it is a real story happening "live", like I did as a kid. I see it.....as a movie, a temporary distraction. Nothing more.

I'd like to think that I have a pretty good imagination, but it seems that when we grow up, and start having to deal with everyday life, we forget how to feel like we're really "in" a story, in a movie, and I think that's what has happened to me.

I still enjoyed it however, Return to Oz, and if you haven't seen it before, or haven't seen it in years, I encourage you to watch it, it's a very good movie.

Talk to you again tomorrow!

Pic from IMDb.com




No comments:

Post a Comment